Friday, August 15, 2008

Sondheim's "Bounce" gets new life as "Road Trip"

Well, I had no idea at all that Stephen Sondheim was attempting to revive his last (and ill-received) work, formerly known as Bounce.

Playbill Online has the story here: Sondheim Explains Evolution from 'Bounce' to 'Road Show'

I am not a huge fan of the Bounce CD, so I'm curious to see if this is worth reviving. Foothill's Jay Manley tells me I'm wrong, plain wrong about not liking Bounce, and I think he actually saw it, so he may indeed be right.

What I found much more exciting about the article, though, was that it talked about Sondheim working on both another new musical and a book...an annotated lyrics project:

Now, Sondheim and Weidman are faced with the problem of what to ponder other than how to musicalize the Mizners. Happily, they're already "discussing" another show to fill that void.

"But I'm spending most of my time writing a book," said Sondheim, meaning his tome of annotated lyrics. "It's going to be long. I'm not, by nature, a prose writer, but I'm literate, and I have a couple of people who are vetting it for me, whom I trust, who are excellent prose writers."

Now, those projects I can get excited about!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?