Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Meet the cast member: Nina Vyedin

After hearing from these grizzled Foothill veterans, I thought it might be nice to talk to another Foothill newbie, like Nina.

This is Nina's first Foothill show, and she comes to Foothill via musical director Cathy Snider, who also directs choir at Nina's school. Cathy shares stories from rehearsals with her class, and apparently she's a pretty good raconteur because she motivated NIna to see for herself. It didn't hurt that Nina had seen Brigadoon last summer and was much impressed. Nina's favorite quote from Annie Get Your Gun musical director (and her choir director): "There's no breathing in musical theatre!"

Nina may be new to Foothill, but she's already hoping to return:

I'd like to return. I love the people. You don't find such a nice dynamic in many of the usual summer shows high school kids audition for. The last show I did outside of Harker had great direction and taught me a lot, but the other kids in it were so cliquey I never really felt a part of it. From day one at Foothill I knew I was part of a show.

Nina's favorite part of the production process is very similar to mine, actually:
I like the time right before a show opens the most. I love the polishing process, the excitement, the full committment of everyone to the cast to the show. For a week or so, you live and breathe and eat and sleep the show--it's fantastic.

With that kind of passion it's not surprising that Nina has high hopes to keep doing theatre, particular musical theatre, for life!
Theatre keeps me sane! I've always had this need to be a part of something, some project or something that challenges my energy and focus. It gives me confidence to know I am a part of a team, to be able to say to my friends "Come see my show! We've been working so hard and we have a great cast and it's going to be amazing!" Theatre's always been
there for me during the happiest as well as the most difficult moments of my life--I can always rely on there being another rehearsal or another production to look forward to. Theatre has taught me a lot--for example, I've always been a little bit of a scatterbrain, but theatre's forced me to work on arranging my schedule and being on time and all that stuff--I like to think it's been helping me to grow up. Either way, I don't think I'd be the same person if not for the shows I've done or the people I've worked with along the way.

In terms of future plans...I will definitely be auditioning for college programs in the fall, and trying to find a place with a solid
balance of academics and performing arts to allow me to continue doing all the things I love to do. I just can't imagine not being involved in theatre, especially music, in the future, and I'm definitely hoping to fashion my future career around it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the grizzled veterans can learn as much from Nina as she learns from them...that kind of passion is contagious!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?