Friday, June 17, 2005

Sweeney returning to Broadway!

BlogwayBaby alerts me to the return of Sweeney Todd to the Broadway stage, this time in the acclaimed London version that featured a cast of nine who played all the instruments themselves!

I know Foothill Artistic Director Jay Manley saw this production in London and loved it.

Of course the Broadway version has a couple of Broadway stars at the helm: Patti LuPone as Mrs. Lovett and Michael Cerveris as Sweeney. Having seen them both in Passion on TV recently I can say that LuPone as Lovett should be fantastic...she is still a powerhouse. I'm having a teensy bit of trouble seeing Cerveris as Sweeney myself. That may be because the only time I've seen him live on stage he was playing Tommy in Tommy 12 years ago.

I wonder if the Lovett & Sweeney actually played instruments in the London version?

And if so, I wonder if LuPone and Cerveris will...or if the remaining 7 cast members will be carrying even more of the orchestral load!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?